Video conferencing is becoming the preferred way for businesses to conduct both one-on-one meetings as well as group meetings. Employees can use video conferencing to participate in meetings in a more relaxed and comfortable way, whether they are working from home or in the office. Live video feeds let participants interact with each other in real time.
Using video conferencing regularly, results in increased involvement and stronger personal connections. For businesses of different sizes, video conferencing can reduce time spent walking between campuses and buildings, and also reduces travel time for meetings.
More importantly, advances in video conferencing software makes it more appealing and cost-effective than ever before. Also, the advent of cloud-based video conferencing means that businesses do not necessarily need to invest in expensive hardware to make that all-important video call.
However, all video conferencing is not created equal. You will need to choose your equipment carefully depending on your unique needs. We shall talk about the 12 essential points to keep in mind for successful enterprise desktop video conferencing. Here goes…
1) Use a top-notch camera: Use a professional-grade camera to ensure best image quality. Also, do not forget to keep the camera lens clean.
2) Use the right microphones: If you are connecting to your video conferencing system using mobile phones and tablets, you should use a Bluetooth microphone and a wired headset. Another option is using a clip-on microphone that has noise-cancelling features and a wide pickup frequency range. Also, you should mute your microphone when it is in listening mode and conduct video conferences from quiet, indoor meeting spaces.
3) Use the right lighting: You can record and transmit high-quality images only if there is good lighting in your meeting space. You should experiment with lighting by moving it around. Also, avoid direct sunlight on your face or behind you.
4) Use enhanced bandwidth: If you have insufficient bandwidth it will hamper desktop video conferencing quality. Bandwidth problems result in the skipping of video conferencing images and decreased window size. Be sure to enhance bandwidth to the computers you plan to use for desktop video conferencing.
5) Reduce the burden on the memory and CPU of your computer: You should not do any other tasks on your computer, such as processing or downloading while you are on a video conference. You should also close all unnecessary applications to improve memory resources.
6) Pay attention to body language when on a video conference call: You are being continuously watched when you are on a desktop video conference, so pay attention to what you do and to your body language. Do not yawn, clean your ears or cough into the camera. Ensure that you mind your manners when on a video conference.
7) Ensure that your background is clean: Your background, such as walls and furniture appear very clearly on desktop video conferences. Ensure that your background is clean and appealing. A plain, light-coloured background with your company logo looks best.
8) Speak directly to the camera: You should speak directly to the camera and not to the person on the screen. This is most noticeable when incoming video is projected on a large TV screen, but outgoing video is captured via the desktop in front of you.
9) Mute your microphone to eliminate background noise and echoes: If there is a lot of background noise, you should mute your microphone to correct this problem. You should also remove nearby electronic devices, especially phones or other wireless devices.
10) Become familiar with the video conferencing system before the call: Practice using your video conferencing system well ahead of your actual call. You should download the desktop video client and ensure that it installs. You should learn its chat function, try out the whiteboard, and select and deselect the camera or microphone. The more you know, the better you will look.
11) Dress the way you would for a formal meeting: Dress business-like like you would for an in-person meeting. You should wear royal blue, purple or gray as they contrast well with a light-coloured background. You should avoid wearing complex designs that the webcam cannot pick up effectively. Also avoid too much jewelery.
12) Practice using the system beforehand: You should practice your presentation by recording yourself using the video conferencing software and critiquing the presentation. Video conferencing will help you improve your presentations in both the virtual and the physical world.
These are the 12 essentials to keep in mind when setting up and using a video conferencing system. Do pay attention to these before and during your video conference. Here’s to seamess and satisfactory video calls!